Achieving long-term changes in relation to personal development is seldom easy mainly because you lack focus, discipline and perseverance.
What makes it more difficult is that when people around you are not supportive and tend to discourage you. It is really a struggle to stick with a personal development plan knowing that it takes time, effort and money. But creating notable changes requires a well thought off plan as this will guide you on how to go about the specific changes. What you need to know more about is how you can sustain these changes. Take a closer look on the following tips in sustaining change.
- Get enough support from your friends. Ask a few friends whom you can trust and whom you know can keep you in the highest level of motivation. It can push you a step forward knowing that you can’t disappoint the people helping you out.
- Employ the principle of reinforcement in your personal development plan.
- Consider how you can reward yourself in case you achieve your goals prior to your target date and think also of ways on how you can implement punishment in case you failed to attain your target.
- Consider utilizing stimulus control. You can take control of your environment. Meaning if your goal is to lose weight, then avoid going to fast food chains or do not store foods in your home that are unhealthy and can add up more pounds. Set an environment that can help support in achieving your goal.
- Think likely that some of the personal development plans will fail, thus you need to be prepared to have an action plan. Just keep in mind that failure is but a part of the whole process. You will undergo trials as you change your old ways and unhealthy habits. You can’t expect to have a success rate of 100% so never allow failure to discourage you. Instead learn to anticipate the possible obstacles but never make them a reason for you to give up. Find ways on how you can overcome them gracefully.
- Take small but accurate steps. Set simple and easy to achieve goals and take one step at a time. Do not rush as you are more likely unable to sustain the changes. Remember that the accumulated small things can take you where you exactly wanted to be. Always congratulate and be proud no matter how small is your achievement. It can keep you motivated.
Continue increasing and developing self awareness as this is one sure way of sustaining change brought about by your personal development plans.